- Sesame Place in Philadelphia will reopen on July 24.
The theme park based on the award-winning show, Sesame Street, Sesame Place, has announced its phased reopening on July 24.
With the park reopening, enhanced health and safety protocols for cleaning and sanitizing will be implemented with physical distancing, face-covering requirements, and temperature screening. The park will also have a reservation system that will require guests to make advanced reservations and allow the park to control capacity. The phased reopening plan was approved by the State of Pennsylvania.
“We thank Governor Wolf for his support of tourism in Pennsylvania as we prepare to reopen Sesame Place on July 24,” said Marc Swanson, interim CEO of SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. “We have worked diligently with state and local health officials, outside consultants and attraction industry leaders to enhance our already strict health, safety and cleanliness standards. These protocols and guidelines will be modified based on evolving industry standards and methodologies, public health and governmental directives, and advancing scientific knowledge on the transmissibility of COVID-19.”
“We’re thrilled to reopen our park and celebrate our 40th birthday this year,” said Cathy Valeriano, president of Sesame Place. “We know our guests are eager to return and we are just as excited to continue to provide them with fun, inspiring and memorable experiences, while taking the necessary steps to make families feel safe when they visit our park during this milestone year and beyond.”
In a statement, the park officials have detailed their new procedures:
- Guest Arrivals & Ticketing – Enhanced cleaning protocols will be implemented at arrival areas and for high-contact surfaces. Spacing will be increased for our touchless turnstiles enabling appropriate physical distancing.
- Restaurants – Restaurants at the park will include arranged seating layouts to accommodate physical distancing. Tables and chairs will be sanitized with increased frequency, condiment and topping stations will be closed, utensils will be pre-packaged, and guests with refillable products will be provided single-use alternatives. Buffet-style service areas will be adjusted or closed until further notice.
- Retail Shops – In our retail shops, we will have markings for physical distancing and signage directing guests to defined entrances and exits. To minimize contact of items at checkout, bagging and wrapping materials will be given to customers.
- Public Spaces – Across the park and especially in high-contact areas, enhanced cleaning protocols will be implemented. This includes an increased number of hand sanitizer stations, areas with single-direction guest flow, modified seating in venues to maintain physical distancing and cleaning according to enhanced protocols. Lounge chair seating will also be modified to maintain physical distancing.
- Rides & Attractions – Queue lines for all rides will have markings for physical distancing and modified seating will be implemented to maintain physical distancing. We will have hand sanitizer available at the entrance and exit of all rides and will increase the frequency of cleaning and sanitizing. Specific protocols will be implemented for water rides for employees and guests and unless play areas meet distancing protocols, they will be temporarily closed. For a list of temporary changes and attraction closures, please visit the attractions page on the website.
- Parade, Shows and Meet-and-Greets – Depending on the ability to ensure physical distancing for guests and team members, certain components of shows and meet-and-greets, such as those involving guest interactions, character interactions and photo opportunities will be modified or removed. Parades will be temporarily unavailable. For more information on the parade, shows and character meet-and-greets, please visit the shows & parade page on the website.
Season pass holders will be able to reserve tickets at 9 a.m. on July 20 with single-day ticket available starting at 10 a.m. on the same day.
For the latest information on hours of operation and safety guidelines, visit Sesameplace.com/Philadelphia.