Global Citizen has announced more additions to their VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World event on May 2 at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. The event will air and livestream on Saturday, May 8, 2021, on ABC, ABC News Live, CBS, YouTube, iHeartMedia broadcast radio stations, and the iHeartRadio app, at 8:00 PM ET/PT, 7:00 PM CT. The concert will also air on FOX at 11:00 PM ET/PT.
As the first large-scale music event for a COVID-compliant audience composed of fully-vaccinated frontline healthcare and essential workers, VAX LIVE calls for new commitments from governments, the private sector, and philanthropists toward the equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines worldwide.
The additions to the lineup include:
- Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are serving as Campaign Chairs of VAX LIVE and will be delivering an important global message for vaccine equity during the event. To help ensure equitable access to the vaccine, they’ve also been leading a coordinated drive across the private sector to raise critical funds for the vaccine-sharing program COVAX.
- A special appearance by President Biden, First Lady Dr. Biden and Vice President Harris as part of Global Citizen’s partnership with the White House’s “We Can Do This” initiative to increase public confidence in COVID-19 vaccines while reinforcing basic prevention measures, such as mask-wearing and social distancing. Additionally, President Macron of France, Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada, and Prime Minister Plenković of Croatia will make appearances.
- Multi-platinum recording artist, actress, and producer, Selena Gomez, as host, and musical headliners, Jennifer Lopez, Eddie Vedder, Foo Fighters, J Balvin, and H.E.R. will be joined by Ben Affleck, Chrissy Teigen, David Letterman, Gayle King, Jimmy Kimmel, Nomzamo Mbatha, Olivia Munn, and Sean Penn.
- Cisco announced $5M, the Analog Devices Foundation announced $1M, and The Coca-Cola Foundation announced $500K to support COVAX. Cisco’s $5M contribution to the Gavi COVAX AMC will be matched by a Swiss Foundation who prefers to remain anonymous. These commitments, totaling $11.5 million, will fund the purchase of an estimated 2.3 million vaccine doses for health workers.
- The Vax Live campaign is calling on businesses to donate dollars for doses via COVAX, wealthy governments to share excess doses immediately with COVAX, and for pharmaceutical companies like Moderna to make vaccines available at not-for-profit prices.
As part of VAX LIVE, Global Citizen is campaigning to support the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator (ACT-A) initiative – including COVAX – a vaccine-sharing program co-led by the World Health Organization (WHO), to ensure global equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines. During the special, Global Citizen will call on governments asking them to pledge a total of $19 billion, the outstanding balance needed by the ACT-A to get 1.8 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses plus tests and treatments to the world’s poorest countries by the end of 2021. As part of the campaign, Spain announced the donation of an estimated 7.5 million vaccine doses as soon as 50% of the Spanish population is vaccinated. France announced starting the sharing of doses for health workers across Africa with an initial donation of 100,000 this month, and at least 500,000 by June.
“Over the past year, our world has experienced pain, loss, and struggle—together. Now we need to recover and heal—together. We can’t leave anybody behind. We will all benefit, we will all be safer, when everyone everywhere has equal access to the vaccine. We must pursue equitable vaccine distribution, and in that, restore faith in our common humanity. This mission couldn’t be more critical or important,” said Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Campaign Chairs of Vax Live.
“As part of the Vax Live campaign, the Government of Spain will facilitate to Latin America and the Caribbean a quantity of vaccines against COVID-19 that corresponds, at least, to between 5% and 10% of the total vaccines that our country receives throughout 2021. I am proud of my country and of the dedication of its people, including public representatives, for showing solidarity in responding to this crisis, that has been so brutal both in Spain and abroad,” said Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sánchez.
“Last autumn, I called for the sharing of the doses ordered by our countries, to ensure both solidarity and health security. This winter I proposed that each country share at least 5% of the doses ordered with the poorest countries. I can already tell you that, as far as France is concerned, this objective will be exceeded by the end of the year. With the European vaccine sharing mechanism via the COVAX initiative that France is inaugurating, we are in concrete solidarity in the fight against the virus, which does not care about borders. Today I call on all my colleagues to join this momentum and make a commitment at Vax Live,” said President of France, Emmanuel Macron.
Fran Katsoudas, EVP and Chief People, Policy & Purpose Officer of Cisco, said, “At Cisco, our purpose is to power an inclusive future for all, and we know that starts with an inclusive recovery from COVID-19. The private sector has an important role to play in this, and we are proud to make a commitment to COVAX to ensure that health workers and the most vulnerable have fair and equitable access to vaccines.”
“COVAX has helped spur the rapid development of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines. But this extraordinary effort will be for naught, if we don’t get vaccines to the people who need them the most. This is the moment for the private sector to step up and support vaccine equity,” said Dr Seth Berkley, CEO of Gavi the Vaccine Alliance. “Thank you to Cisco for leading the way with a $5 million contribution to the Gavi COVAX AMC, which will be matched dollar for dollar. We hope that this generous contribution will set an example for others from the private sector to pledge at Global Citizen’s Vax Live event on 8th May.”
VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World will be pre-taped at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles on May 2 and will air Saturday, May 8, 2021. As the exclusive global streaming partner, YouTube will stream an extended version of VAX LIVE on the Global Citizen channel for a full run-time of 90 minutes, which will include newly announced exclusive performances from Foo Fighters, Eddie Vedder, and J Balvin, alongside previously announced performances and appearances by NCT 127 and Picture This and YouTube creators Daniel El Travieso, Kati Morton, ShootforLove, Thembe Mahlaba, and The Try Guys.
“We are proud to partner with an amazing group of selfless frontline heroes, global leaders, civic groups and entertainment superstars to combat the pandemic and support vaccine efforts throughout the world,” said E. Stanley Kroenke, SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park Developer and Owner/Chairman of the Los Angeles Rams. “We are honored that such a meaningful and impactful event – Vax Live – is our first event at SoFi Stadium open to the public. Hundreds of millions around the globe will be watching as we raise awareness and the resources desperately needed to bring communities back together again.”
“We are truly grateful for the time, effort and energy that everyone has given to make VAX LIVE a reality within just a few months. We’re thrilled to be hosting Global Citizen’s first live event since the pandemic began alongside these incredible artists, entertainers and individuals who are donating their time to support our mission to achieve vaccine equity and build vaccine confidence globally,” said Katie Hill, SVP, Head of Music, Entertainment & Artist Relations at Global Citizen. “I’m moved by the enthusiasm of every VAX LIVE participant to play a role in ending the COVID-19 pandemic as we all work together to come back, safely.”
Adriana Chavez is the editor for Vacancy. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org