Disney has announced the Mickey & Friends: Stay True, a global campaign inspired by the Sensational Six – Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto – and their iconic friendship that has spanned over several decades.
Starting this week through July 30, International Friendship Day, fans across the globe are invited to ‘shout out’ their friends and thank them for “staying true” through social media challenges, free digital activations and more, using #MickeyFriendsStayTrue.
Yara Shahidi, Gigi Hadid and Chance the Rapper helped kick off the campaign today with posts celebrating their best friends Sayeed Shahidi, Ehsan Shahidi, Olivia Perez, and Taylor Bennett.
“When I think of my earliest memories of friendship and what it means to be a friend, I flashback to the Sensational Six. I am excited to celebrate International Friendship Day with my sensational brothers and the iconic group of Disney friends who have inspired the beauty of friendship,” said Shahidi.
“I’ve always been such a big Disney fan, and know any day I get to step foot into a Disney park will be another great one. I have so many amazing memories from childhood to adulthood that include Mickey and the Sensational Six. I’m so happy to be celebrating International Friendship Day alongside these iconic characters! shared Hadid.
Chance the Rapper said, “My brother is my best friend and I’m excited to celebrate International Friendship Day alongside him and Mickey Mouse.”
“Celebrating friendship and those who help us stay true to ourselves and others is more important than ever before,” said Kareem Daniel, president of Disney Consumer Products, Games and Publishing. “As families around the world look to Disney to add magic to their daily lives, this campaign highlights the enduring bonds between Mickey and his pals – inviting fans to share in their exciting adventures and iconic friendships.”
The campaign will also highlight the Sensational Six’s rich history of friendship and the secrets to a lifelong friendship.
Historian Brian Sibley analyzed over 600 hours of Disney films, shorts and featurettes featuring the Sensational Six.
The analysis revealed that loyalty is the number one trait that stands the friendship test of time, with the six friends unwavering in supporting each other. Sharing similar interests and adventures are also key, and laughter really is the best medicine with the characters finding ways to laugh together no matter what.
The top 10 qualities that are key to lifelong friendship according to 90 years of Disney stories are:
- Loyalty (like Pluto always being by Mickey Mouse’s side)
- Honesty (whether it’s what they want to hear or not, the Sensational Six are always honest with each other)
- Kindness (like Donald taking on an extra job to pay for a big date with Daisy)
- Understanding of faults (whether it’s Donald’s feistiness or Goofy’s foolishness, the friends are always forgiving of each other’s faults)
- Shared interests (like Mickey Mouse and Pluto’s love of fishing)
- Embracing differences (whether you’re sassy like Daisy or happy-go-lucky like Pluto)
- Supportive of ambitions (such as Mickey Mouse’s lifelong support for Minnie Mouse’s career paths)
- Shared sense of humor (whether you’re always laughing like Mickey Mouse or being the comedian like Goofy)
- Making time for each other (a long running theme with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse)
- Being thoughtful (such as the birthday surprises the Sensational Six plan for each other every year)
In celebration of the campaign, new product collaborations such as Primark, H&M, Adidas, BIG W, BaubleBar, Ray-Ban, Otterbox and Kellogg’s will be available, along with cross-category products for all ages at retailers all over the world, with more to come later this year. Additionally, on July 23, shopDisney.com will feature a special ‘buy-one-get-one-plush-for-$3’ offer, and on July 28 – July 30, will offer up to 40% off on Mickey & Friends merchandise must-haves.
In addition, the Mickey and Friends: Stay True playlist by Walt Disney Records is now streaming: https://disneymusic.co/MickeyandFriends. Disney+ will feature the Mickey and Friends Collection at the top of the Collections section in Disney+ from July 27 – August 2, in honor of the global campaign.
Disney’s Mickey & Friends: Stay True campaign will continue throughout the year, including celebrating Friendsgiving in November.